[linrad] Using the Linrad Network

He Leif and all,

Today I made my first tests of Linrad's network broadcasting capability. I installed Linrad 02.34 and checked it out. All seemed to be well. I selected "N" on the main menu to initialize networking parameters, and then selected "format 4" (16-bit raw data) for output. After toggling network write ON, I found that the program continued to run correctly in Weak CW mode.

Unfortunately, I did not have good luck with any of the other data formats. In particular, formats 7, 8, and 9 caused the program to produce broken sound output -- that is, frequent gaps in the Rx background noise when an active frequency is selected with the mouse.

Hitting "T" while receiving, so as to display timing information, shows an apparent A/D sampling rates as follows:

Format A/D
4     96 kHz
7    ~30
8    ~73
9    ~49

Obviously, something is seriously wrong!

I did notice that when using Format 9, although the audio on the master computer has frequent interruptions, watzo running on a second computer displays waterfall data that looks more or less correct.

I tried to use one instance of xlinrad to broadcast "format 4" data, and a second instance of xlinrad on the same computer receiving the raw 16-bit data. This failed with error #1272 ("Write to network socket returned an error") on the master and error #1274 ("Network read failed") on the slave.

Can you help me to understand what may be wrong in my setup? The computer on which Linrad is running is reasonably fast (2.7 GHz P4, 0.5 MB cache, 1.25 GB memory), and is around 20% busy when running xlinrad.

	-- 73, Joe, K1JT