[linrad] Re: MAP65 and Linrad Network

Hi Leif,

Yes, it should be possible to run everything on a single fast computer with plenty of memory. I have not yet established that the necessary CPU-sharing during time-critical parts of each program is handled adequately for this to work without glitches. Neither Linrad nor Windows is a very good real-time O/S, and one must work around their limitations in this area.

I do not think there would be any problems:-)

OK, I tried it with both programs running on the same (Linux) computer. In this case the two programs were "plrs" (my "pseudo-Linrad send" program) and MAP65. The Linux computer has two Xeon CPUs at 2.4 GHz, each with 512 kB L2 cache, and 1 GB memory.

The combination works OK, and but a significant number of packets (around 400 in each minute, or slightly more than 1% of the data) are dropped during MAP65's most compute-intensive parts of each minute. Since plrs does no significant computing, I imagine that the problem may be worse when running Linrad + MAP65.

Of course it should be possible to improve this situation; I have not yet tried to address it. In the meantime, I shall continue to test with Linrad (or plrs) running on one computer, MAP65 on another.

	-- Joe, K1JT