[linrad] Re: MAP65 and Linrad Network

Hi Joe,

> OK, I tried it with both programs running on the same
> (Linux) computer.  In this case the two programs were "plrs"
> (my "pseudo-Linrad send" program) and MAP65.  The Linux
> computer has two Xeon CPUs at 2.4 GHz, each with 512 kB L2
> cache, and 1 GB memory.
>
> The combination works OK, and but a significant number of
> packets (around 400 in each minute, or slightly more than 1%
> of the data) are dropped during MAP65's most
> compute-intensive parts of each minute.  Since plrs does no
> significant computing, I imagine that the problem may be
> worse when running Linrad + MAP65.
It could also be the other way around.....

> Of course it should be possible to improve this situation; I
> have not yet tried to address it.  In the meantime, I shall
> continue to test with Linrad (or plrs) running on one
> computer, MAP65 on another.
OK. It may be necessary to add a call to Sleep(0) under Windows
or to sched_yield() under Linux at regular intervals in all
routines that might lock up the CPU for a too long time.

Those calls are effected by lir_sched_yield() in the OS independent
code of Linrad and I found it necessary to place about 45 such
calls within Linrad.