[linrad] Re: MAP65 Beta Testing

Hi Joe,

I am not an expert in networking either but enlarging  the packet buffersize
could solve your problem:
After Leif increased the packet buffersize in the window version of watzo
(win-wtz01-01) ,  I got rid of  a lost packet problem that was present in
win-wtz01-00.

This change was based on the recommendation of Dirk Claessens who wrote:

I heard from Pierre that Linrad for Windows is experiencing sporadic
packet loss. It appears that there exists no magic registry key to
enlarge the packet buffersize on a global basis.

However, the buffersize can be set on a per socket basis:

To get the current size:
int skt, int sndsize;
err = setsockopt(skt, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, (char *)&sndsize,
              ÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂÂ(int)sizeof(sndsize));

To set the new size:
int  Âsockbufsize = 0;
int  Âsize = sizeof(int);

err = getsockopt(skt, SOL_SOCKET, SO_RCVBUF, (char *)&sockbufsize, &size);

( to set the send buffer size: use SO_SNDBUF )

A word of caution: enlarging the buffer is not a magical solution. If -
for whatever reason - a client cannot cope with the datarate of the
server, the input buffers will overflow anyway, it will just take some
more time. It will only help to cure occasional overload.

From what you describe, it looks  indeed that the bottleneck is not related to
the speed  of your network connection but rather to the processing of the
incoming packets.

Hope it helps

73,

Pierre/ON5GN