Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2007 3:51 PM
Subject: [linrad] MAP65 Experiment

I'm thinking about how to easily adapt my EME station to take advantage of MAP65, initially receive only.

The receive side my station consists of two phased yagis, preamp, Elecraft 144 transverter, and SDR-1000. I'm considering removing the power splitter, rotating one of the yagis 90 degrees and duplicating the receive components to have duplicate H and V RX paths.

My main questions involve how closely the two RX paths must match in amplitude, phase and frequency. Amplitude I can probably adjust reasonably well in the SDR-1000, and I can probably adjust the RX frequency in both SDR-1000s to initially be pretty close, but the SDR-1000s are not locked to the same LO so they will drift apart after some period of time. In addition, the relative phasing will be unknown and probably also change over time. Hopefully amplitude will remain fairly stable.

I think Dphi will compensate for initial phase errors between the channels, but how sensitive is the system to drift between the two SDR-1000 LOs (and corresponding phase and frequency errors)? I think the SDR-1000s (and transverters) will stay within a couple hundred hertz of each other for a reasonable period of time, but if the relative frequency and phase in the two channels must stay locked to within a few hertz/degrees then I think there is no hope with this approach. I'll probably just have to wait for a couple of the HPSDR Mercury boards ... or buy another SDR-IQ (if the LOs can be locked ... I don't remember if they can).

If this hardware approach works, the next issue will be how to get two instances of PowerSDR, one linrad and one MAP65 all working happily on the computer resources I have ...

Thanks

joe n6kk