[linrad] Re: Linrad Network

Hello Joe,

> I've been experimenting with the Linrad Network.  All seems well using
> options 4, 5, 6, or 7, but when I turn on option 8 (Send timf2) or option 9
> (send fft2 transforms) the AFC graph and S meter graphs become very slow and
> jerky and the main spectrum and high resolution graphs seem to slow down
> some.  If I try to "X" out, the screen freezes and I have to close the
> window and restart Linrad.  CPU utilization is low, so I'm wondering if
> something is causing a conflict in the network processing thread for options
> 8 and 9?  I'm using WinXP on a P4 with 1.5G RAM and Linrad 2.35.
OK. I tested for this and I can reproduce the error.

> Consistent
> results on my laptop as well.  I haven't checked how it behaves under Linux
> yet, but I have a hunch it's the same.
No, I can not see this problem under Linux.

The network is complicated because each time a big FFT has been completed
a lot of data is released in a big chunk. Linrad has to send the data in
small packets that are evenly distributed in time because the network
does not like to be heavily loaded some times and idle in between.
I have forgotten the exact details, but packet losses was the problem.
Maybe it was the switches in my network that required this complication.

I will look for the error. In the meantime you might run a first
instance of Linrad that sends raw data to the network as well as
timf2. You can then use a second instance of Linrad in which
you hopefully will be able to click on signals and see normal
behaviour of S-meter and AFC.