[linrad] Re: multiple instances of Linrad

Hi Bodo et al,

I guess this email is a long-delayed-echo, internet style? ;)

I assume this was re-posted because there is some interest, so I will provide a brief update of where all of this ended up for me.

The original email was from April 2006 as you see. By June of 2006 I was routinely running 4 instances of Linrad simultaneously on one computer. This is possible using either Linux or Windows; I generally use Windows for this purpose for non-Linrad-related reasons.

My purpose for this was/is to monitor constantly the 50/144/222/432 MHz bands during a contest. This arrangement has worked great for that.

My initial configuration, in use for a bit more than a year, used 2 Delta-44's hooked to various combinations of the 28 MHz SoftRocks, TimeMachines setup for 28 MHz, and homebrew 28 MHz front ends. Each 28 MHz receiver was connected to a different transverter, covering the 50,144,222,and 432 MHz bands.

I found that the Softrocks didn't handle well the large number of very strong signals on 50 and 144 MHz that are present during a contest.

So for the past few months my configuration has been:
SDR-14 for 50 MHz
SDR-IQ for 144 MHz
Softrocks for 222 and 432 MHz
and this has worked well.

I had to reduce the bandwidth a bit on the SDR-14 and SDR-IQ to keep them from locking up when run simultaneously, but I still have more than 90 kHz bandwidth. The SDR-IQ needs to be started before the SDR-14 or the SDR-IQ won't be recognized by Linrad.

I used this setup for the ARRL September VHF contest just ended, and it worked very well.

I have it setup so that if I see a potentially interesting signal on any of the 4 Linrad bandscopes, I just click on it and the audio of course goes to my headphones. If the signal is one I want to work, I type 'q' and the 28 MHz frequency corresponding to that station is sent by Linrad over my network to my FT1000MP which is on another computer so I can quickly work the station, and then go back to doing what I was doing on whatever band I was on before I noticed the potentially interesting signal on the Linrad bandscope.

I have another instance of Linrad running using the WSE hardware on another computer that is used for the main band/receiver bandscope. It uses a homebrew transverter to convert the 28 MHz signal from my transverters for 50 MHz thru 10 GHz to 144 MHz so I can feed the signal into the WSE hardware. That instance of Linrad uses another SDR-IQ as input.

The Softrock 28 MHz

http://www.softrockradio.org/node/31

was out of production very quickly, but there is talk of bringing back a 28 MHz version, possibly now Tx/Rx!

http://www.softrockradio.org/node/49

In addition to less than ideal strong-signal-handling capability, the original 28 MHz softrock was insensitive; see for example:
http://ewjt.com/kd5tfd/sdr1k-notebook/sr40/sr7/index.html
and I have to run a 28 MHz preamp before mine.

I will be mentioning all of this in the talk I will be giving at Microwave Update on "A VHF and Up Operator's Discussion of Useful DSP Software and Hardware".

http://www.microwaveupdate.org/

Hope that helps, and hope to see some of you at Microwave Update! There will be a lot of other people giving excellent talks:

http://www.microwaveupdate.org/speakers.php

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ