[linrad] Re: MAP65 and 50 MHz

Hi Alberto,

The sizable advantages of using MAP65 (rather than simply WSJT) for digital EME are that MAP65 takes full advantage of a wideband SDR with two polarization channels.

The only band on which this is currently very useful is 2 meters, where digital EME activity takes place in the 144.070 - 144.160 MHz sub-band (only JA's below 144.100). For this reason, and to expedite the completion of a usable version of MAP65, I limited the first release to the JT65B mode used on 2m.

There is no reason in principle why JT65A could not be supported by MAP65, but it will not happen in time for the ARRL EME contest this weekend. The advantages would be rather minimal at present, anyway. Digital EME activity on 6m takes place at 50.190 +/- 0.005 MHz, more or less. WSJT offers up to 5 kHz bandwidth already, so it covers about half of the band at one time. As far as I know nobody has dual-polarization capability on 6 meter EME, so again MAP65 would present no particular advantage.

	-- 73, Joe, K1JT

Alberto E. Zagni wrote:
Hi all,
I am preparing the gear to try MAP65 on the ARRL EME contest on 50 MHz.
Checking the software I found that current version of MAP65 only supports mode JT65b (in use on 2m) and not JT65a, used on 6m and HF.
Joe, is there any chance to enable also this mode?

All the best
Alberto I2KBD