[Linrad] Re: Linrad-03.00

Hi Roger,

> Linrad 03-00 fails for me when it attempts to begin the process of
> setting parameters for par_wcw immediately after I type 'a'.  This is
> the same as Stan's error.  As Ermanno indicated, changing DUMPFILE to
> TRUE allows Linrad to pass this hurdle and run OK.
Yes, and downloading 03-00a should also fix it as well as removing
the offending line [fprintf(dmp,"......] in menu.c.

> I have what is for me a more perturbing problem.
>
> I have been using an Infrasonic Quartet soundcard quite happily with
> PowerSDR and Linrad-02.16, at 192k sampling rate.
>
> When I attempted today to update Linrad, I found that for all the new
> versions I have available to test [02.34 through 02.58, as well as
> 03.00], there is a problem with Linrad.
Hmmm, I would have been glad to know about it a long time ago.......

> Although the card setup in
> Linrad goes with no problems in any version of Linrad through 03.00,
> for versions 02.34 and beyond, there is signal only for the center 46
> kHz of the 192 kHz display.
>
> I put pix showing normal function of Linrad 02.16 and PowerSDR-IF
> Stage 0.92 with the Quartet at:
>
> http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/linrad02.16.gif
> and
> http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/PowerSDR-Quartet.jpg
> respectively.
>

> I put pix of the malfunctioning Linrad versions 02.34, 02.39, 02.58,
> and 03.00 display screens at
>
> http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/linrad02.34.gif
> and
> http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/linrad02.39.gif
> and
> http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/linrad02.58.gif
> and
> http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/linrad03.00.gif
>
> respectively.

Did you try to ask for 16 bits ? Presumably you have a choice.

Linrad-02.16 is long ago and I do not remember what has been
changed since then.....

In Windows one can open devices in two ways.
WAVEFORMATEX (only 16 bit) and WAVEFORMATEXTENSIBLE (16 or 24 bits)
Recent Linrad tries EXTENSIBLE and if it works it will use that.
Old versions used only 16 bit. I do not know what 02.16 did, but
it will not be difficult to add whatever user selection needed
to do it the way that worked on your system.

It seems to me that the modern Windows format assumes that you
use the soundcard for music so it samples at a low rate
(with many bits) and resamples in the driver to produce
the best possible music quality........
Maybe, if one selects the primitive 16 bit format it would just
use whatever data the hardware produces??? (I really dislike the
idea that device drivers do rate conversions. The idea seems to
be to make life easy for music programmers, but the unspecified
effects on frequency response and distortion could create
needless problems to SDRs.)

> I did have the latest downloaded windows driver versions for the
> Quartet when I discovered this, and I also went back sequentially for
> 3 versions to see if that made a difference.  It did not.
>
> I am running Windows XP 32 bit version, with SP3 on a 3.2 GHz Pentium
> 4 that has been a good workhorse for several years.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.  In the meantime, I will keep running
> Linrad 02.16 ;)
I do not have access to Linrad-02.16 here so I can not check
what it was doing under Windows. Maybe you can send me the
file wsetad.c from that version??