[Linrad] Re: Linrad-03.00

Leif Asbrink wrote:

> Maybe, if one selects the primitive 16 bit format it would just
> use whatever data the hardware produces??? (I really dislike the
> idea that device drivers do rate conversions. The idea seems to
> be to make life easy for music programmers, but the unspecified
> effects on frequency response and distortion could create
> needless problems to SDRs.)

Professional sound cards, especially designed for serious musical
applications, write clearly in their specs that the various sampling
rates are obtained natively, at the hardware level, without any sample
sate conversion. Musicians too do not like sample rate conversion...

Look at the first lines of the Technical Specifications for the
EMU 1212M card (one of the best on the market) here :
<
http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?product=9872&nav=technicalSpecifications

They say clearly that no resampling is done.... only cheap AC'97 cards
do sample at a fixed rate of 48 kHz, then the driver does a resampling.

73  Alberto  I2PHD