[Linrad] Re: Leif de Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

> I didn't realize any power will do on these converters.
> I tinker with a lot of microwave gismo and just for whatever
> reason thought +/-15 VDC's needed to be just that.
> So may I just use a couple of over the counter supplies set
> around 14 VDC each instead of some Exact 15 VDC PSU?

The lower limit for the voltage is where the internal 7812 and 7912
regulators inside the units stop regulating.
There are voltage drops in cables, across the fuse and 1 ohm
resistor that provide R in the RC filter of each DC input.
See e.g. http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/rxiq/power.htm

I do not quite remember, but I think you need something like 14.4 V
to have the 7812 and the 7912 working according to specifications.

In case you run the WSE units at i.e. 13.5 volts you would probably
not notice the difference. The dynamic range would go down a little
and voltage variations would cause some frequency drift.

The power input of the WSE units are designed to fit unregulated
power supplies. With 3-phase power they become really neat...

73

Leif