From: Leif Asbrink <leif@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Linrad] Re: 64 bit driver
Date: Sun, August 09, 2009, 21:31:00

Hi John,

>   What an interesting undertaking.
>
>   *What software are you using to select OS? I have only seen one but there must
>     be others in the market.
I am using Grub. Once I know how to do it is quite simple. The problem is that
my OEM Windows install CDs silently refuse to install when there is some other
version of Windows already installed....

>   *How are you cooling the processors?  This has always been a concern for me.
>     Noisy with one processor, two might be a problem.
Oooh! I use "slow" processors. 2.33 GHz. The fans are controlled by BIOS and
run at a very low speed because the processors run at low voltage and do not
get hot. The fans make a lot of noise when I press reset;-)

> Perhaps you will be able to compare 32 to 64 bit receiver performance and also
> performance between OSs.
Yes. Many interesting aspects become visible:-)

The system has far too many CPUs and therefore all my mistakes in
how tasks are distributed between threads become very obvious. There are
other "errors" like in X11 and Windows where the entire screen is redrawn
far too often. Pierr, ON5GN is helping on these issues and the next
version of Linrad will be insensitive to other activities on screen.
Todays version 3.06 and earlier have problems when other windows are moved
on the screen but that will be fixed:-)

> With unintended consiquences, the obvious answer
> might not be the final answer.
I expect 64 bit systems to be generally slower than 32 bit systems.
There is no reason to use a 64 bit system for Linrad unless you want
to run a large number of instances simultaneously with a lot of
memory for each one. It seems to me that many people will use 64 bit
systems in the near future just because they have the hardware.
Currently it is a bad idea because drive routines are not yet stable.

Another problem is latency. Good old soundcards like SB Live are not
supported in the 64 bit environment under Windows. Modern soundcards
seem to have a lot of functionality like equalizers etc. and I am afraid
they add a needless time delay from soundcard to Linrad input.

There is a two-fold transition in the Windows world right now.
32bit > 64 bit (For SDR, it will be better to stay at 32 bit)
Win98/Win2000/WinXP > Vista/Win7 (I think we have to welcome it.)

I have always tried to avoid Microsoft so I did not know much
about the peculiarities of the systems and how boot is arranged.
Now I know a bit more:-) I have two hard disks and I can copy
both entire hard disks and boot all the systems from the copies.
That is forgiving for all the problems caused by installing all the
software that comes along with various drive routines that might
work or might not work.... Uninstall seems to only remove a small
fraction of all the stuff that installs itself.

One has to tell each Windows version to not index, backup or do
anything else to the other "drives" Each version is C: and has to
avoid messing with all other "drives."

73

Leif