[Linrad] USB

>>The good news is that Perseus, SDR-14 and SDR-IQ do not go through

the Vista sound system so they should work fine.

I would add that the HPSDR Mercury/Penelope receiver and transmitter use the USB approach too (though the Ozy USB interface card) and so is independent of sound cards.

I noted with some interest that I2PHD is looking at a WinUSB driver for  Ozy and while his intention is to use it for WinRad, it seems to me that it should be relatively (?) easy to adapt an successful code to Linrad. This should provide support into the future (Windows 7 including 64 bit version).

>> After having found out that Windows is useless with PCI soundcards on modern motherboards

I find this to be rather strange – I assume does it applies to plug in cards and not to motherboard sound systems as well – these MB systems have some pretty impressive specs these days (192 kHz and 24 bit) although these are not found in 4-channel versions (like Delta 44) as far as I have seen.

I note that the M-Audio web site compatibility guide very conspicuously omits Vista as a compatible system.

So I have kept my old Delta44 card in the XP box, but have an EMU1212 in the quad core – which has a PCI Express slot for the video card – without apparent problems, although I have not given it a proper test. I note that EMU has a driver for the 1212M (V2.1) that supports Windows Vista 32-bit and Windows Vista 64-bit as well as Windows XP 32-bit and Windows XP 64-bit versions.  I imagine that a determined person could be two EMU cards in a PC and sync them using the external sampling clock option …

Anyway – going to the USB interface simplifies things greatly. HPSDR is looking at supporting multiple (up to 8) Mercury boards in one backplane through the Ozy board  – a development still off in the future, but still offering me hope for eventual MAP65 use.

73

Ken