[Linrad] Networking issues

Hi All. I'm new to this group and to Linrad, although I've known about
it for a few years and have been somewhat following it's progression.
Leif, you may recall meeting me at the EME conference in Trenton, NJ a
few years ago.

Anyway I bought a SDR-IQ and got it working.  Then installed Joe's
MAP65 package which includes linrad.  After a day of playing with it I
got it working on my laptop where the SDR-IQ is connected.  In fact it
works very well.  Next I wanted to network it so I could run Linrad +
the IQ on the laptop in the basement (where the antenna is), but run
Map65 upstairs on my main machine.  That went fairly well too and
works fine, however it leaves me unable to hear the audio.  Now I know
there are other ways to get audio up here, in fact I've done it with
HRD and NetMeeting, but the audio is choppy when doing that.  So I
read about Linrad networking and thought I could run a networked slave
copy of Linrad up here and run Map65 up here too.  That is where I
have run into some problems.

The first one is just a small textural error in the setup menu but I
thought you might like to know about it.  In the network menu, if you
use option #3 to set the receive IP address, you get a message that
says "Set receive address to -1 to read from file par_netsend_ip...".
That stumped me for a while.  I finally found in online notes that I
readlly needed to use file "par_netrec_ip", but the wrong setup
message did cause a problem.  I spent a while trying to add a secone
IP address to the netsend file.  Not a big deal and easily fixed, I am
sure.

Once I got the addresses fixed, the two instances of Linrad started
talking, but I have some problems.  The main one is that the
frequencies of the two instances do not match.  For example if I set
the master frequency to 14.075, the slave gives me a frequency range
below that frequency.  So If I tune the master to 14.076, the slave
actually receives signals about 50 KHz lower than that.  It is
impossible to tune the slave above about 14.050 in this example.  The
same thing holds true for any other frequency or band.

Also, I note that when I change frequencies on the master (by entering
the center frequency in the type-in box), the slave does not know it
and continues to think it is on the original frequency.

Finally it seems that I have to increase the gain of the master
drastically in order to get enough signal in the slave to be heard or
make the waterfall signals visible.

I wonder what I am doing wrong here?  I played with it for hours today
but was unable to affect any change.  The version of Winrad I am using
is 3.05B, and both master and slave are running on Pentium PC's under
Windows XP (SP3).

Thanks for any insight.

73, Russ K2TXB