[Linrad] Re: Linrad-02.45 ALSA/4Front

Hi Leif,

I don't know if what is below will be helpful or not, as I don't have
alsasound installed here, so I couldn't test it.

But it seems that, if what is below can be generalized, then you could
add to Linrad a script to look for and run 'alsaound status' and, if
the file were not found or if 'ALSA sound driver not loaded' was the
result when the script ran, you could proceed as though ALSA were not
running.  The trick would be to find all of the locations where
alsasound might hide on various flavors of linux, and include each of
them in the script.

Check out this article:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/9540/ENG/AudioReleaseDebian.pdf

Under 6.1 it states:
-------------------------
6.1 Run the following script to check if ALSA is running on your
system.
/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound status
OR
/etc/init.d/alsasound status
If the above command reports ?ALSA sound driver loaded?, then ALSA is
currently running. If the result is ?ALSA sound driver not loaded?,
then ALSA is not running. If the result is something like ?No such
file or directory?, then your system does not have the script to
check the status.
-----------------------

This is all supposition on my part, as I know nothing of this, but just
did a quick Google search to see if an answer could be found.

Hope that helps, and

73,

W3SZ
Roger Rehr
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz

Quoting Leif Asbrink <leif@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> Hi All,
>
> The latest version, linrad-02.45, differs from 02-44 in
> the setup for its rx input while the dsp processing is not
> changed.
>
> There are a couple of bugs detected already. They are
> related to ALSA. As far as I know there is no bug detected
> with the Windows version yet.
>
> On a system where ALSA has never been installed, the setup
> does not work. Use 02-44 or change lconf.h to define
> ALSA_PRESENT (even though it is not.) Do not run configure
> again (would erase your change of lconf.h) Answer N to
> "use native ALSA?" in the setup.
>
> SDR-14 or SDR-IQ can not be selected. Use 02.44.
>
> The configure script tries to determine whether a system
> uses OSS/4Front or ALSA. I did this by looking for
> the file  /usr/lib/libasound.so but that was not a good
> idea:-(
>
> When I install OSS, the  /usr/lib/libasound.so is not removed
> so Linrad falsely believes that ALSA is installed.
> Is there anyone on this list who knows how I should find
> out if ALSA is installed and working? The current code is:
>
> AC_CHECK_FILE( /usr/lib/libasound.so, ALSAN="1")
> AC_SUBST(ALSAN)
>
> What would be better? libasound.so is not removed by
> the OSS installer.....
>
> 73
>
> Leif / SM5BSZ

Roger Rehr