[Linrad] R: [Linrad] Re: Linrad053 and Ubuntu

Hi All.

With the change recommended by Leif the problem seems solved.
 You
can configure Alsa native or oss without  errors  ( Ubuntu 8.10 with gcc
4.3.2).

73 Ermanno / ik7ezn

com
"linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Ogg: [Linrad] Re: Linrad053
and Ubuntu

>Hi All,
>
>Ermanno reported a bug when running Linrad02-53 with
native
>ALSA under Ubuntu.
>
>The error is a buffer overflow, line 93 in lsetad.
c:
>char alsa_dev_plughw_pcm_name [10];
>does not allocate enough space. Change
it to:
>char alsa_dev_plughw_pcm_name [16];
>
>It is interesting (=frustrating)
that this error is not
>reported when I run with valgrind under e.g. Debian.
>

>Maybe the memory allocation is aligned to actually reserve
>a couple of more
bytes and that the formal error therefore
>does not cause any problem. Under
Ubuntu, at run time, there
>seems to be some error checking because xlinrad
exits with:
>*** buffer overflow detected ***: ./xlinrad terminated
>followed
by a traceback that points to an address within Linrad
>(that I have no idea
how to use) plus a (useless to me)
>memory map.
>
>Linrad now runs well as a
transceiver under Debian and svgalib.
>The X11 server causes some extra
latency, I have not yet added
>a "tx output delay margin" that could be set to
accomodate
>the latency times of the X11 server.
>This can be done - but there
will be a small penalty when running
>under X11 in a longer time delay between
the key is pushed and RF
>appears at the antenna.
>
>I have not been
sucessful in installing svgalib under Ubuntu.
>Another thing is that X11 uses
far more cpu time under Ubuntu
>compared to Debian. I do not think the memory
checking that seems to
>be included in Linrad when compiled under Ubuntu is
responsible
>because the xlinrad executable compiled under Debian runs at 28%
cpu
>load exactly as the ./xlinrad compiled under Ubuntu. When I run
>the same
executable under Debian X11 on the same computer with
>the same parameters,
the cpu load is 17% only (with svgalib 15%.)

>When running the system monitor
together with Linrad using the same
>computer and linrad parameters, the cpu
load as shown by the system
>monitor is 90% with Ubuntu while it is 30% with
Debian.

>Maybe ALSA is compiled with memory error checking under Ubuntu?

(And other X11 parts as well?)

>The system monitor adds a large latency time
so output delay margin
>has to be set high. It is also necessary to set a low
"max DMA rate"
>to make soundcard buffers large when running the system
monitor.
>There is not yet any Tx output delay margin so the Tx side does
>not
work if the system monitor is allowed to run.

>Before I upload Linrad-02.54 with the
alsa_dev_plughw_pcm_name
>correction I would like to know if there is anything
else that