[Linrad] Bits and dynamic range.

Hi All,

Our modern toys like the Perseus HF receiver create huge
amounts of data. We like to save the data on hard disks so
knowing when and to what extent it is permissible to truncate
the data to a smaller number of bits is a good thing.

This page:
http://www.sm5bsz.com/dynrange/bits/bits.htm
shows the consequences of rounding.

The loss of sensitivity when saving the data from the
Perseus at 2 MHz with 16 bits only is about 0.5 dB.
Whenever the Perseus is properly used, with the noise
floor from the antenna well above the internal noise
floor of the Perseus itself, the 16 bit format will
cause a S/N loss that is below 0.1 dB.

Nico knows what he is doing.....