Re: [linrad] Hanging of Linrad when attempting to configure audiocard

Joe,

KDE and GNOME use their own sound daemons for allowing various
applications to share the same sound device. This is if and only if the
application followed the KDE or GNOME (arts and esound respectively) sound
programming conventions. When arts or esound is running and an application
tries to open /dev/dsp directly, the open() system call will fail since
the device is already opened.

The remedy is to stop arts or esound when you want to use linrad or any
other application that needs exclusive access to /dev/dsp.

Notice that if you are using the alsa drivers, it will allow the sound
device to be opened by more than one application at the same time, thus
making arts not needed to some degree.

73,

-- Edson, 7n4ncl

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002 n5pykamsat@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi all,
> I've recently created a dual boot system running Win2K and Redhat 7.3.  I'm curious as to whether anyone else has encountered the same issue that I have in trying to get Linrad operational.
>
> I've followed Leif's installation (which I add were quite well written and understandable for a new-to-linux individual) with svgalib, nasm, and linrad being installed.  I've not attempted to download the OpenSound solution as it is my understanding that this capability is part of the Redhat Linux release.
>
> The issue I have come across is that whenever I attempt to set up the sound card (Sound Blaster Live), Linrad indicates that it is attempting to open /dev/dsp as read only and the program hangs necessitating a reboot.
>
> I've not notice any difficulty in dealing with the soundcard....e.g. it plays and records normally using the normal KDE tools.
>
> If anyone has any ideas, I'd sure welcome them as I'm a bit stuck.
>
> Computer is AMD Athlon 1900+
> Sound Blaster Live Value
>
> 73,
> Joe - N5PYK EM13qe