RE: [linrad] Almost there...

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Kohjin Yamada
Sent: Sunday, November 17, 2002 00:23
To: linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [linrad] Almost there...

Hi again Dan and all,

Every thing goes fine here.
Please every one should include your Linrad version with your Linux
distribution together with gcc version when you post for help.

====================
[KB5MY] Hi Kohjin,

My packages:

  gcc: 3.2  (Don't know where to look for the sub-version)
  Kernel: 2.4.18-14 (I bought the boxed set new last weekend)
  Linrad: 00.48
  OSS: 3.9.7f

Here's the latest message I get from OSS when I install:

"Checking for any previously installed sound drivers...
*** Sound driver is already running - trying to unload it ***

You appear to have the kernel level sound driver installed as a loadable
module. Unload it by executing rmmod sound and try installing OSS/Linux
again.

If this error repeats again you probably have the sound driver being loaded
automagically by the kerneld daemon. In this case you should remove all
sound.o
files from all subdirectories of /lib/modules in addition to executing
rmmod sound. After that you probably should reboot the system before
trying to
install OSS again. Edit /etc/modules.conf and remove the 'alias sound ...'
line in case it exist and replace it by 'alias sound off'.

Also add a line containing 'alias char-major-14 off' to /etc/modules.conf.
Am I allowed to do these changes automatically for you (Y/N) ?"

When I execute "rmmod sound", I get

  "sound: Device or resource busy"

When I answer "Y" to the automatic changes question, I get:

  "Trying to disable the conflicting sound driver
   /etc/modules.conf backed up to /etc/modules.conf.pre-oss
   Unloading the existing sound driver
   If your system freezes now, please reboot and disable the current driver
   manually.
   audigy: Device or resource busy
   Failed to unload module 'audigy'
   sound: Device or resource busy
   Failed to unload module 'sound'"

The reference to "sound" is the Delta44 card.

Then there's the issue with the strange character in line 818 of
Linrad's main.c.  That could be something as simple as my choosing
for my system to be US English-only when I installed it.

Unfortunately, I've only been working with Linux since I opened
the box last weekend, so things that seem obvious or simple to
experienced users aren't going to be as obvious to me for some
time to come.

...and I still have to download and extract the OSS package via
the FTP sw on my Win2K machine and transfer via CD-RW, as the
Linux FTP doesn't want to work through the proxy server (but the
Mozilla browser and companion e-mail client like the proxy just
fine).

Thanks to all for your assistance and patience.

73,
Dan  KB5MY

====================

At 15:26 02/11/17 +0900,  Kohjin JR1EDE wrote:
>Hi Dan and all,
>
>Only for 'make' in main.c paragraph;
>
>At 21:47 02/11/16 -0800, Dan KB5MY wrote:
>>Compiling Linrad:
>>  After fixing the multi-line string literal problem in main.c,
>>  I now get a make error at line 818 as follows:
>>

>>[root@xxxxxxxxx lir]# make
>>gcc -O -W -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wformat \
>>-Wunused -Wcomment -Wchar-subscripts -Wshadow -Wuninitialized \
>>-Wparentheses -Wstrict-prototypes -Werror -ffast-math -fforce-mem \
>>-fomit-frame-pointer -c -o main.o \
>>main.c
>>main.c:818:22: multi-character character constant
>>make: *** [main.o] Error 1
>>

>>What I see at line 818 in emacs is:
>>
>>  rx_mode=(vga_inkey-'A')^0x80;
>>
>>...except that the single-quoted capital 'A' is really a single-
>>quoted capital 'A' with an accent mark above it.  How should this
>>line really look?  BTW - Linrad v.47 main.c comes up the same way.
>
>Hmmm......something wrong!
>rx_mode=(vga_inkey-'チ')^0x80;
>Above was opend from emacs and copied by WinXP WordPad.
>It seems a multi-language-character.
>Strange, there was no error in my RHL 8.0 before.
>
>Ok, I will replace a 10GB disk and boot up for RHL 8.0.
>Stay tuned...
>
>Kohjin - JR1EDE

I have replaced a 10GB disk contained RHL 7.3 to one contained 8.0
and have downloaded a newer version of oss397f-linux-v2x.tar.gz
to just make it sure.

My RHL 8.0:
   kernel 2.4.18-14
   gcc 3.2-7
   linrad lir00-48

Installation including 'make' has been completed without any problem
except "the multi-line string literal problem in main.c" Dan pointed.
This error can be solved by a simple edit.
Also, OSS driver was installed and Linrad works flawlessly.

I go back to RHL 7.3 again as 8.0 is too heavy on my slooow PIII.

Kohjin - JR1EDE
LINRADDARNIL