RE: [linrad] re: CS5396

Hi Toki,

> > Thanks to Pete, KC1HR I now know that there is an ADC
> > chip CS5396 from (http://www.cirrus.com).
> >
> > This is a 24 bit 96kHz stereo AD converter and there
> > is an evaluation board for it.
> >
> > The CS5396 is 20dB better than the Delta 44!!
>
> What does make you so happy ?
Simply that this information was new to me:-)

Even after modifying the Delta44 to actually give the
full performance of the AK4524VF, the Delta44 is limiting
Linrad performance with the WSE RX2500.

> Almost every companies that develop ADC device have evaluation board
> for their products.
>
> For example;
> You can get information about evaluation board of the most advanced
> AD converter from;
>
>      http://www.asahi-kasei.co.jp/akm/
>
> AK5394A is a 24 bit 192kHz stereo AD converter with s/n 123db.
> The evaluation board also has printer, coax, and optic interfaces like
> cirrus.
Now you make me even more happy:-)

The technology is there - it only remains to learn how to use it!
(How to get four channels of data into an application under Linux)

> I don't believe the cirrus can develop better analog device than the akm.
There is one problem with AKM though. I was told by their representative
here in Sweden that I can only buy AKM ICs in full reels,
3000 pieces if I remember correctly:-(

> Anyway, problem is always the cost.
I did not find any info on the cost for either evaluation board but
I would not be surprised if it could compete well with the corresponding
professional audio cards.

I will stay with the Delta44 for now, with some luck someone else
will find a way to get better data into the PC.