configure

Hi All,

Joe KM1P wrote:
> I attempted to compile linrad 00.51 on my Redhat 8.0 system, but got an
> error message that the linker could not find the libraries specified by
> -lvga and -lvgagl.  After learning a bit about how gcc works with ld, I
> found I could compile by changing in the Makefile
>

> 	gcc -olinrad -lvga -lvgagl \
> <rest of command deleted for brevity>

> 	gcc -olinrad /usr/lib/libvga.so.1 /usr/lib/libvga.so.1 \
> <rest of command deleted for brevity>

The Linrad configure (created by autoconf from configure.in)
is not doing its job properly. The reason is (of course) that
I do not know how to do it right;)

The way configure tells the c-programs  where to find the oss header
file is not very elegant (understatement) but it works.

It would be good if configure looked for what libvga.x.y.z version
might be present and where it is and made changes to Makefile
accordingly.

If anyone on this list has suggestions how to use autoconf/configure
better please write about it.

1) Would be nice to have an explicit message from configure in
case nasm is not present.

2) It there a better way to avoid a cache file than erasing it
at the end? (The cache will contain incorrect information in case
nasm,svgalib,oss or users_hwaredriver is added after the cache
was created so it must be deleted each time a "system" change was
made)

3) How to make the oss/ALSA/Linux includes easier in conf.h

4) How to handle the different libvga.so.xxx

5) Everything else that I did not think about.

73

Leif  /  SM5BSZ

LINRADDARNIL