Re: [linrad] ALSA vs OSS ?

Edson-

Thank you for writing and install procedure.

After reading the ALSA projects description,
it looks like the best option.

My laptop is at Fujitsu for repair (CDROM drive)
so I'll do a trial run on the desktop.
RH 8.0 out of the box 2.4.18-14 and
Intel 810 chipset (integrated sound) with Celeron 433.

Will let you know how it is going after this weekend :-)

73,
-Bob ah7i

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Edson Pereira wrote:

> This is what I have in the machines I have installed alsa:
>
> Distro:  Red Hat Linux release 7.2 (Enigma)
> CC:      gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.2 2.96-108.7.2)
> Kernel:  Linux 2.4.19 (compiled from sources)
> Sound:   SoundBlaster Live (EMU10K1 Chipset)
> Driver:  ALSA 0.9.0beta12
> LinRad:  lir00-48
> Remarks: SB Live's mixer has too many controls and options, making the
>          card configuration quite tedious and complex.
>
> Distro:  Red Hat Linux release 8.0 (Psyche)
> CC:      gcc version 3.2 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)
> Kernel:  Linux 2.4.18 (RedHat's original)
> Sound:   C-Media compatible (CMI9738 Chipset)
> Driver:  ALSA 0.9.0rc6
> LinRad:  lir00-48
> Remarks: The OSS Free driver did not work with linrad (API problems). The
> ALSA driver worked just fine. This is a 1000 Yen (US$8) soundcard very
> popular in Japan now days. Good sound quality and low noise.
>
> I did not have problems installing ALSA since version 0.6. The steps I
> used to install version 0.9rc6 were:
>
> 0. Have the Linux kernel development package (headers) installed.
> 1. Download ALSA drivers, libs, utils, tools, and oss lib.
>
> 2. tar -zxvf alsa-driver
> 3. ./configure; make
> 4. as root, make install
> 5. as root, ./snddevices
>
> 6. tar -zxvf alsa-libs
> 7. ./configure; make
> 8. as root, make install
>
> 9. tar -zxvf alsa-utils
> 10. ./configure; make
> 11. as root, make install
>
> 12. tar -zxvf alsa-tools
> 13. ./configure; make
> 14. as root, make install
>
> 15. tar -zxvf alsa-oss
> 16. ./configure; make
> 17. as root, make install
>
> To load the drivers by hand:
>
> As root,
>
> /sbin/modprobe your_sound_driver_module_name
> /sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss
>
> The OSS driver must be loaded separately.
>
> You can check the loaded modules with the command:
>
> /sbin/lsmod
>
> To have the modules loaded automatically the next time you boot Linux,
> edit /etc/modules.conf and insert the appropriate lines. Instructions on
> how to do this depends on the type of soundcard and sound driver you have.
> The instructions can be found at the ALSA web page.
>
> http://www.alsa-project.org/alsa-doc/
>
> Look for your soundcard and click on the Driver & Docs link.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> 73,
>
> -- Edson, 7n4ncl
>

> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Kohjin Yamada wrote:
>
> > Hello All,
> >
> > I had paid a full time of weeks for installing ALSA on my Delta 44 but had never
> > got a success so far.
> > I know I'm not that expert in Linux but have been a deep fun of Un*x
> > for more than 15 years.
> >
> > Who is using ALSA in this community?
> > What is your Linux distribution, kernel/gcc version, your card?
> [...]

LINRADDARNIL