RE: [linrad] LINRAD

Hi All,

> It is hard to know from the very terse description but it appears
> that the Makefile generated by the ./configure script is trying
> to run "autoconf".  If so this is a bug.  End users should
> _never_ need to have the GNU Auto tools packages installed.
>
> Possably the date stamps were wrong when the Linrad package was
> tarred up?  The maintainer needs to do a full build _and then_
> use the "dist" target to build the distribution tar.gz file.
I am not a programmer, nor a Linux gury so there are things
in Linrad that more knowledgeable people could change.

autoconf should not be needed unless any of the files
Makefile.in
conf.h.in
configure.in

is more recent than the configure file itself.

The idea is that anyone who wants to change these files will have to
have autoconf, but normal end users who do not change the .in files
do not need it.

I have no idea why it did not work for Heinz, something with the
time stamps I guess, but the easy fix is to remove the last two
lines of Makefile. If you do that, the .in files will not be used
at all.

This description: 'The maintainer needs to do a full build _and then_
use the "dist" target to build the distribution tar.gz file.' is
far to cryptic for me to follow. I am sure I do not use autoconf
and configure as they are intended. I want to keep my focus on the
radio parts (hardware for the moment).  The Linrad .in files need
to be modified to produce a configure script that writes better
error messages when for example gcc is not found. It would be nice
if it looked for the oss compatibility package if ALSA is the
sound system and so on. These things are high above my Linux level.

73

Leif  /  SM5BSZ