Re: [linrad] Second operator

Perhaps the best way to send information across the network is within UDP
packets to a so called "broadcast address".  These addresses end with 255,
for instance in my home network the broadcast address would be
192.168.1.255.  Using TCP, a connection is made between the two computers,
and each packet sent must be acknowledged.  With UDP sent to a broadcast
address, the sending machine sends out a packet and that is the end of it.
Every machine on the network can listen for the message and then process it.
UDP is an "unrelable protocol", if a receiving computer misses the packet,
it has no way of asking for a repeat.  On a lightly loaded LAN, this is
usually not much of a problem.  I am a Linux newbie, so I can't offer
specifics for our problem here.

-Joe KM1P

LINRADDARNIL