SV: [linrad] New Subscriber - HELP

Hi Guy,
Basicly your idea of " get the linux install right" before you go on to
linrad install is good. Heres the way I would do it...

Redhat 8.0
Over and above the standard choice there are three packets that should
be installed. These are

Ncurses-devel
Nasm
Kernel source

These are found under
            development – libraries
            development - languages
And         development – system

Click on these packets and continue with the Install

Then the next thing you need to do is install svgalib.
I do it like this.. Your mileage may vary...

Download svgalib-1.9.17.tar.gz

I run a script that contains the following lines. You can just enter
them at the command prompt if you like...

tar zxvf svgalib-*
cd svgalib-*
make install
make demos
cd kernel/svgalib_helper
make install
VER=$(uname -r)
mkdir -p /lib/modules/$VER/kernel/misc
install -m 0644 -c svgalib_helper.o /lib/modules/$VER/kernel/misc
echo "modprobe svgalib_helper" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local

Then you need edit /etc/vga/libvga.config for you setup. If you're lucky
it might work from start with the default settings.

The next step is to get you sound card working and THEN finally install
LinRad. From here on in I refer you the "Oficial" linrad webside.

The most important thing to remember is to use the mailing list. Your
will get there in the end. The end result is worth the trouble.

Best regards
Dominic Kilbride