linrad installation

End of this week I will ( try to .. ) install Linux.
I don't like this at all but I have to since I want to work with Linrad.

Two questions :

1. Why is Linrad not Winrad ? ( Leif, what's your specific reason for Linux ? I'm just curious, that's all... ).
2. Is Redhat 9 the easiest one indeed for the Linux dummies ( as me.. ) ?
    If so, does it make any sense to buy the professional edition ( € 199 ) instead of the regular one ( € 45 ) ?
    Why or why not ?

Thanks for help ( I'm afraid this will not be my last quest for help.... :-) .

Peter, PE1ECM
LINRADDARNIL