Re: [linrad] Buying the Linux PC for Linrad use.

Hi Jim,

If you piecing together your own system you would find motherboards
(in general) aren't all that expensive. Retail boxed Intel motherboards
are generally price competitive.  For example, a year ago the Intel
845GBV board we used in product retailed for about $95.  This board
was attrative because it was highly integrated: (onboard I/O, 10-100
ethernet, 4 USB's (2 were USB 2.0,) Intel's Extream Graphics chipset,
4 PCI slots.)  The big minus in the Intel solution is the P4 pricing and
DDR pricing...  If you don't need bleeding edge performance the
pricing of P3 CPU's and ram are real attractive.  At Dayton I was
looking at a P3 Intel retail mother board for $75 dollars (Intel board
guarantee is 3 years) and 1.X Ghz CPU is about the same price.
Gateway is using Intel motherboards in some of their products. In fact
those brand new P3 Intel boards were being solde by that same
vendor for $45 dollars...

Try this once. Go to Pricewatch.com once, search on motherboards,
then on Intel once, check the prices once.
http://www.pricewatch.com/2/2/32-1.htm

It's getting late, I will look at the PCUSA tomorrow...  There have
been a couple threads in the past 2 years on the IEEE EMC listserve
on which quiet PC's are used... HP Vectra's and some Dell's were
some favorites.  Buying used is another option.  More later.
73's and goodnite.

dave garnier

LINRADDARNIL