Buying the Linux PC for Linrad use.

Hi Dave,

I am not real comfortable piecing my own PC together.
If someone picked out all the parts  to buy, then maybe....?
As you mentioned before, RFI can still be a problem.
Leif says that a Pentium III 600 Mhz should be sufficient for Linrad
for some years to come. This modifies my request and should simplify
my search. I would be real interested in finding out what PC's are the
quiet ones, as you mentioned. I did notice some Dell 600 Mhz PCs
on Ebay in the $200 range. Still seems a bit high for a used PC, dude.
Did the Compaq Deskpro series make the quiet list? There are several
sources for a used 1 gig PC for $205.

Another option is the $200 Linux PC at Walmart. Of course it may be noisey.

On 4 Jul 2003 at 1:01, David Garnier wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> If you piecing together your own system you would find motherboards
> (in general) aren't all that expensive. Retail boxed Intel
> motherboards are generally price competitive.  For example, a year ago
> the Intel 845GBV board we used in product retailed for about $95.
> This board was attrative because it was highly integrated: (onboard
> I/O, 10-100 ethernet, 4 USB's (2 were USB 2.0,) Intel's Extream
> Graphics chipset, 4 PCI slots.)  The big minus in the Intel solution
> is the P4 pricing and DDR pricing...  If you don't need bleeding edge
> performance the pricing of P3 CPU's and ram are real attractive.  At
> Dayton I was looking at a P3 Intel retail mother board for $75 dollars
> (Intel board guarantee is 3 years) and 1.X Ghz CPU is about the same
> price. Gateway is using Intel motherboards in some of their products.
> In fact those brand new P3 Intel boards were being solde by that same
> vendor for $45 dollars...
>
> Try this once. Go to Pricewatch.com once, search on motherboards, then
> on Intel once, check the prices once.
> http://www.pricewatch.com/2/2/32-1.htm
>
> It's getting late, I will look at the PCUSA tomorrow...  There have
> been a couple threads in the past 2 years on the IEEE EMC listserve on
> which quiet PC's are used... HP Vectra's and some Dell's were some
> favorites.  Buying used is another option.  More later. 73's and
> goodnite.
>
> dave garnier

LINRADDARNIL