Re: [linrad] RE:New Linrad e-mail list user

Leif Åsbrink wrote:

Hello Leif and list users:
Thank you for fast reply.

I will answer between you text lines:

If it worked before, it should still work. If it does not, the reason
is probably something that could and should be fixed.
Yes, that is what I think!..:-)

Maybe the soundboard_init.log file has some information?
(I do no longer remember when this file was introduced, but it should be
present in recent Linrad versions)

Here is sounboard_init.log information:
Checking /dev/dsp
/dev/dsp opened as RDONLY
16bit format supported
Max no of channels = 2
Max input speed 44100 Hz
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/dsp opened as WRONLY
16bit format supported
Max no of channels = 2
Max input speed 44100 Hz
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/dev/dsp opened as RDWR
16bit format supported
Max no of channels = 2
Max input speed 44100 Hz
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------Checking /dev/dsp0
Checking /dev/dsp1
Checking /dev/dsp2
Checking /dev/dsp3
Checking /dev/dsp4
Checking /dev/dsp5
Checking /dev/dsp6
Checking /dev/dsp7
Checking /dev/dsp8
Checking /dev/dsp9
Checking /dev/dsp10
Checking /dev/dsp11
Checking /dev/dsp12
Checking /dev/dsp13
Checking /dev/dsp14
Checking /dev/dsp15

/dev/dsp selected by user for input. dev_flag=7
User selected RDWR
Min sampling speed = 4000 Hz
6000 Hz selected by user
6000 Hz reported by device
Input format: 16 bit
Read test OK
User selected /dev/dsp for output.
Normal end

At the following settings:******************************************

vga mode [11]
font scale [1]
mouse speed [10]
input mode [0]
rx channels [1]
ad channels [1]
ad speed [6000]
ad device no [0]
ad device mode [2]
ad frag [0]
da device no [0]
min da speed [6000]
max da speed [6000]
max da channels [1]
max da bytes [2]
min da channels [1]
min da bytes [2]
da stop/start [0]
check [2220102]

Change only between brackets.
If file has errors, linrad will ignore file and prompt
for a complete set of new parameters
******************************
First FFT bandwidth (Hz) [100]
First FFT window (power of sin) [3]
First forward FFT version [2]
First FFT storage time (s) [4]
First FFT amplitude [1000]
Enable second FFT [0]
First backward FFT version [0]
Sellim maxlevel [6000]
First backward FFT att. N [6]
Second FFT bandwidth factor in powers of 2 [2]
Second FFT window (power of sin) [1]
Second forward FFT version [0]
Second forward FFT att. N [8]
Second FFT storage time (s) [20]
Enable AFC/SPUR/DECODE [0]
AFC lock range Hz [150]
AFC max drift Hz/minute [100]
Enable morse decoding [0]
Max no of spurs to cancel [0]
Spur timeconstant (0.1sek) [5]
First mixer bandwidth reduction in powers of 2 [4]
First mixer no of channels [1]
Baseband storage time (s) [200]
Output delay margin (0.1sek) [5]
Output sampling speed (Hz) [6000]
Default output mode [1]
Audio expander exponent [3]
A/D speed [6000]
Check [1110101]

Change only between brackets.
If file has errors, linrad will ignore file and prompt
for a complete set of new parameters
*************************************
No. It indicates I made a mistake somewhere;)

In 01.03 you have a choice:
Use close and reopen for D/A when
a new signal is selected (Y/N)

> I am not sure if it really makes any difference when
> a device is in RDWR mode.

Choosing yes or not does not make any effect.

A first question:
When you run 01.03 and have clicked on a signal. Does it
happen that it runs OK until you click on a new signal
or does it always stop with sync errors after a little while?
The answer on this question might give a fast route to the source of the problem. It will be very time consuming
on a 486 to find out between which two versions the change
that makes your 486 computer not run was made.

Stopping the output while the input is left running does not
work always and I have made various things to make errors
less frequent. I think one device stops the interrupt response for the other one during a too long time. Maybe some of the
things I did to handle those problems was bad for a RDWR device.
With the parameters I have sent to you the problem is the following:

I click with the mouse and I count seconds, with the following result:

Time(secs) result

0 I click the mouse
11 output starts
16 output stops
29 output starts
33 output stops
45 output starts
50 putput stops

You can see that it follows a fixed pattern, sound starts after 11 seconds, last 5 seconds and goes off for another 11 seconds. Perhaps this data will help you.

73, Ramiro.

73

Leif

LINRADDARNIL