Re: [linrad] More Mars info and questions

Hello,

I asked almost the same questions on Mars-net and got the following info:

SCET is basically UTC on Mars, so the signal will appear cca 3 min (OWLT)
after end of occultation as given in SCET.
(Add OWLT to SCET to get UTC on earth)

BTW, if you don't have QRM (that is, if you can only hear (or see on FFT)
noise) then there's no need to sample at 16 or 24 bit precision (even 8bits
is too moch, but it's the lowest sound cards will go.) You only need more
bits if you need to filter out strong QRM - but then it probably hopeless
anyway :-)

Doppler is +-4Khz max (even less during the time the signal is available)
so there is no need to record more than 10kHz of bandwidth either.

If you know the doppler and your RX frequency, SSB bandwidth will do.
Even if you keep your RX frequency fixed - during the time (<15min) when
the signal could be available, the change of doppler is less than 800Hz.
You'll only have to retune your rx between EOCCSE end EOCCSB and
back, however.

Since in the final processing, bandwiths of one Hz or less will be needed
for detection, locking to a rubidium or GPS clock will be handy.
In absence of these, the receiver should at least be stable to <1Hz
during the few minutes of available integration time....

I have asked S51ZO to use his 70cm array  (8X10WL DL6WU).. this
weekend I'll visit him to check the sensitivity using celestial sources.
If it's OK, I'll probably make some recordings for later processing.
There is of course no hope of real time detection.

73, Marko S57UUU

LINRADDARNIL