FW: RE: linrad operation (ik7ezn Oct 03 2002)

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:owner-linrad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of ik7ezn@xxxxxxxxx
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2002 9:39 AM
To: linrad
Subject: Re: [linrad] linrad operation

Hi Arie,

Also I have had problems to make run linrad on a notebook,
particularly  my new IBM R24 pentium IV 1600Mhz.
I have made diverged proofs and to the deceleration of the mouse
interruptions on the exit are added audio also.
The problem has individualized IRQ 11 that my notebook uses in share
between different device Sound , USB-mouse and other.
Also trying with the OSS driver that find a card audio ICH3 has not
been able to resolve the problem.
I have abandoned the idea of use my notebook and I have returned to use
an other PC compatible desktop.

73 de Ermanno / ik7ezn

> Hallo Leif,
> Thank you for your comments on the waterfall. But what is the N I have
> adapt?
>
> But I think it is usefull to inform you about what happens here ( vers
ion 44
> and higher).
>
> I will tell you what happens in the various steps.
>
> I start with the function U to set up the a/d convertor.
>
> Linrad comes back with nrs 32 and 33 which are dsp and the linked dsp0
.
> It tells that the max sampling rate is 192000, 2 ch., 16 bit and all t
he
> three RW modes.
>
> I choose 32 , 1 channel. A warning comes that device does not respond
> correctly to speed setting command. But it finishes with configured wi
thout
> errors.
>
> pressing A then results in
>
> 200 Hz, sin
(3), FFT version 0, storage 2s, amplitude 100, second FFT 0 which
> then results in :
>
> DMA15 mode 0 16 bit MMX present, 1st fft size 128, increment 64, SIMD
> present, 1st fft sin3, BW 62,5 Hz, 1st fft buffer 131 kB, timing FFFT
> version 0 : ...radix 2 DIF C
> 0,53% N189, buffer 0/128.
>
> I press Y
>
> I chhose 1 channel first mixer.
> Then the picture comes up.
>
> Without input signal between 500>3000 Hz about 0 dB on the graph and
> pressing A gives:
> A/D 57,24, 2,7%, 0,0007, floor 0.0
>
> After inserting a noise signal I see the graph between 500 and 200 Hz
around
> 60 dB with ( the input is only noise) a weak signal around 1000 Hz.
> A gives : A/D 14,64, 4,0 % 0,000
g the green line on the graph a spurious signal is visible
> dependant on the output tone frequency ( some image I suppose) and the
 ouput
> level.
>
> So far so good.
>
> But then : I switch console for changing the mixer controls. After hav
ing
> done this I have to restart linrad ( it does not survive console switc
hing)
> and then pressing A the graphs appear but the mouse is very slow.
> pressing the A then gives A/D 14,01 , 89,2% !!!!, 0,0003, floor 0,0.
> If I then let it go linrad locks and I have to go to another console t
o kill
> it.
> If I press X-
P fast enough I do the setup again by confirming the already
> present parameters and the linrad runs with about the same values as w
ith
> the first setup.
>
> So something is happening when restarting Linrad.
>
> This is the reason I give you all those details, for it might give you
 an
> indication what I am doing wrong.
>
> The program runs on a Thinkpad600E, 350 MHz pentium, 128 MB RAM , soun
dcart
> set up by ALSA ( which is quite integrated in SuSE 7.3) for general CS
4236+.
> This card  in this thinkpad anyhow is a strange device for alsa sees a
nother
> card but mentions that for thinkpad this (PCI) card shall not be chose
n but
> the cs4236 emulation in stead. In windows both interfaces of this card
 are
> seen/setup.
>
> Well I copy this message to the group. Others might have related exper
iences

> 73
>
> Arie, PA0EZ

LINRADDARNIL