Re: [linrad] Real Linux Users

Hi John and others,

Thanks for your email, John.

Let me state again that the purpose of my email was to help people getting
a Linux software distribution.

The following factors went into this:

Downloading some 1500 - 2000 MB of data is:
- time consuming in particular with a dial up
- can be costly for people that have to pay by the minute for access
as often is the case outside the US.
- prices from USD 5.- to what ever seem to me a good deal ( My pure rivate opinion )
- the prices for the red or blue boxes are going up and up. There is certainly
added value there and here in the US, we have free enterprise so we can all
select and pay or not pay as we like.
- I have known for years that Linux and linux code is freeware in principle
and can be often found on the internet or FTP sites etc etc
- we are radio amateurs and often like to do things on the cheap.
download time ( free ot not ) vs anywhere from 29.95 to 79.55 vs
couple of dollars or EU's

My question was and is : What is wrong with the Mandrake distribution?

I have noticed a certain underlying resistance towards Mandrake.
As if it is something that is for amateurs or idiots ( take PA0ZN as a
good example for those ) You see, I stay away from the "real" expression here.

I know that I am not a programmer, and do not pretend to be one, and even
am happy not to be one, the way the jobs are exported to Asia....

It is just that I am curious about the status of Mandrake in lets call it,
the Profession.

BTW "PC" is a well known and often used expression in the US and by now, other
countries that follow US trends, and as said it stands for "Politically Correct"
and not Personal Computer or even MAC in This connection.

I am not out here for a fight or a discussion about Windows vs Unix or Linux
or even PC vs Mac.

Radio amateurs and that is what most of us are here, are supposed to be friendly
and helpful towards each other ( From vintage ARRL Handbooks ) and that was true
a long time ago.

73 Rein W6/PA0ZN

John Harrison, NI1B wrote:

Hi Rein,

Great comment :))

Will the real linux users please stand up. Great. :))))

I started with Slackware, then RedHat, now a bunch of others.

Getting the peripherals to run right is "the" problem. Only because
Microsoft has coerced many to hide behind Microsoft's "closed" source
model.

That said once you get something to run, linux runs better in every way
(IMHO :)

Still getting network, video, mouse and audio to all run is "the"
chore.

We just need to do a linux friendly "real" audio interface. The rest is
cake. Guess what I have been collecting parts for? Takes a while. Maybe
someone will beat me to the punch. Stay tuned :)))

Once you get linux running right, you will NEVER go back. Don't forget
to check out wine ("wine is not an emulator").

warm regards,
john