Re: [linrad] Real Linux Users

Hi Joe,

I fully agree. The discussion came about buying at ebay versus downloading I
think.
And then my question about Mandrake vs Red Hat. Perhaps I just ran into a non
representative part of Linux users from which I concluded, wrongly, that there is something not quite "right" with Mandrake.

I use here Mandrake with Linrad, never tried any other distribution and it is working OK. If one looks to all the other stuff on those CD's is is a bargain, I think.

73 Rein W6/PA0ZN

Joe Fitzgerald wrote:

I have played around with Mandrake distributions, and they (8.2, 9.0 and 9.1) seemed pretty easy to set up. I can't think of any real "politically correct" reason to shun them, unless you are one of those people who still orders "Freedom Fries" at McDonald's. I remember I had to run a separate script after the installation (soundconf maybe?) to get the soundcard working, but I had to fool around with Red Hat also. Both were pretty easy though. The most brain-dead simple install I have seen is with Knoppix (yes, you can do a "real" hard disk installation with this distribution, despite it's primary selling point as a "live filesystem" CD).

If you don't want to download GB's of iso images, there are many companies that will sell you CD's for cheap. You don't get a fancy blue or white box, or printed manuals, but you get what you really need, the CD's.

http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/
has a list of vendors for the Debian distribution, most of them also have other distributions as well. For example, www.linuxcdrs.com has Mandrake 9.2 for $4.99 USD, and Knoppix for $0.99 USD. That is tough to beat.

-Joe KM1P

LINRADDARNIL