RE: [linrad] bzip2

It is only important to bunzip2 unless you supply
it with other command line arguments.  To tar,
it should not be important.  The "j" argument
is just not known to many people.

You did not tell him that

tar -jxvf

will completely disgorge the tar file into /usr/local/src

UNLESS  there is directory information in the tar ball.

For that reason, I would

tar -jtf

first to see the contents.

If there is no directory structure in it, I would make
a subdirectory of /usr/local/src and disgorge the
tar ball there.

Bob
N4HY