[linrad] RE:Mandrake 9.2. Help with configure

Hi Richard and all,

> rpms have the advantage of being able to tell easily if an update is
> available. urpmi will go one stage further on a download and down load
> the dependant files if not already installed.
Seems like black magic to me.

> It is on the later that installing from tarballs fails, as there is no
> record of what is installed.
> Even with src rpms using urpmi will installed the dependant files or
> source code needed to compile the downloaded source.
> They are a very powerful tool.When used correctly you are less liable to
> screw things up than using tarballs.
Maybe. It is far beyond my knowledge to know whether this is
really true or whether it is a form of "overselling" a concept.

Will a rpm install on all distributions from Redhat6.1 to Redhat9 as
well as SuSE, Debian and all the others if the rpmt is properly designed?
It seems to me it might add complications by updating things that
might make other packages not work any more. Does not the rpm strategy
require some sort of "centralized" system. One would have to have
all packages registred somehow so one would know the dependencies
between all of them.

It seems to me that simple software such as svgalib nasm and Linrad
are suitable to use in a different way. nasm will install on any
system that has any version of gcc. As far as I know the same
is valid for svgalib - that is why I am a bit upset over this whole
discussion thread! Linrad (due to my lack of knowledge) does not
install on all systems that have gcc, nasm and svgalib because the
configure script does not know how to produce Makefile correctly
for certain installations of svgalib. The user has to put the libvga.so
files at the place where ld will look for them. I am sure this
problem has an easy solution and maybe someone will give it to
me some day.....