[linrad] OSS and Red Hat 8.0

Hi All,

I'm having a lot of trouble loading OSS with RH 8.0.
I've even gone as far as to disable the motherboard
sound system, which never worked, then installed a
new SB Audigy MP3+ and the Delta 44, then reloaded
RH8 from scratch with only the KDE interface.  That
worked with the stock sound drivers, as I was able
to get sound out of the Audigy OK - but only after
running the KDE mixer application at least once and
saving the settings.

The install instructions on the opensound.com web
site (particularly those dealing with disabling the
stock sound drivers) seem to indicate a slightly
different directory structure than what I'm seeing
with this distribution.  I guess that's why the
automatic driver disabling option that OSS offered
me during installation didn't work.

Has anyone here had recent success loading OSS on
RH8?  I'd be interested in knowing the specific
steps you followed to make it load/work.  BTW - my
RH8 Pro is from a brand-new boxed set (the download
version had bugs).

I've been at this every day since last Sunday, so
I've already blown past the peak of my frustration
curve - HI.  I'm hoping to have this working for
the next half of the EME contest.  TIA for any and
all help.

TNX & 73,
Dan  KB5MY

p.s. - Stewart, KK7KA, wanted to know if I had Linux
       working directly with my StarBand hardware.
       Unfortunately, no.  I use my primary Win2K
       machine as a router with the WinProxy for
       StarBand proxy server software.  It seems to
       work OK.  Even though my wife and I share the
       connection, there has been no serious impact
       on the Win2K machine's performance, and it's
       only a P-II/400.
LINRADDARNIL