Re: [linrad] Compare MP3+ to Sony MZ-N707?

On Thursday 23 October 2003 00:00, Colburn wrote:
> A guy from the local broadcast station came by the College to record
> some sound bytes for some spots we will be placing.  He only brought a
> Sony 8800 mic and a little Sony MZ-N707.
>
> It appeared to have most if not all of the features of the MP3+, esp.
> those of interest to Linrad.  Amy I missing something?  Sure would make
> for a terrific dual-purpose device if so.

The MZ-N707 seems to be a mini-disk player/recorder that connects to a
computer via a USB port.  It doesn't seem to be a soundcard at all.
The Soundblaster MP3+ looks like an 'entry level' USB soundcard/home audio
connection.

I doubt that the MZ-N707 would work with linrad, and the MP3+ is
16-bit/48kHz max, not the 24-bit/96kHz (claimed) of the more expensive
models.

I have no experience with either of these devices so am just going by what
I found on the net.

> The one thing that makes me suspicious is that the USB port is only
> listed as Input.  Is it possible they'd only design the thing for USB
> input and no USB output?

Probably a typo, the N707 has line, mic, and optical inputs; headphone
output; dc in; and USB data ports.

73  Matt  KB0VUK