Re: [linrad] Buying the Linux PC for Linrad use.

Jim,

    You will need to look at the Mandrake webpage, I have SuSE 8.2
here.   More importantly, go to the svgalib.org webpage and check out the
video chips that it supports.   The list is very limited.

    I would be very worried about the on board modem working under
Linux.   Chances are the modem is what is known as a WinModem.   Winmodems
leave out hardware DSP and instead do it on the host PC.   They require
special drivers to work under windoze and they usually won't release the
details so that a Linux driver can be written.   I yanked out the WinModem
card and found a used USRobotics external modem which has been working great.

    Check out the ratings on the power supply too.   I think that a 400
Watt power supply is what is recommended for the XP1800.   I have one and
these things run hot.   I have two fans on my PC and am thinking of putting
in a third.

    More memory is always better.   WARNING - I work for Micron and we make
memory so I have a vested interest.   I have 512 Megs in this PC and 1.5
Gigs in my son's PC that he uses for multimedia animation.   Of course you
can always add more later if the motherboard has enough memory slots.

    Have you considered buying the parts and putting your own PC
together?   That is what this PC is.   I bought the case locally so I
wouldn't have to ship it.   I found the CD-RW at Staples for $20 after
rebates and the rest came from the web.   I would recommend that you buy a
full sized ATX motherboard and case rather than the MicroATX you are
looking at.   You will run out of space in the case and slots on the board
quicker than you think and then you are stuck buying replacements.   That
happened to me with an older PC that I bought.

     With the latest version of SuSE pretty much everything works now with
the exception of my USB scanner.   The USB printer finally works.   It
didn't work with SuSE 7.3.   That seems to be one of Linux's biggest
problems.   Because so much of the code is done by volunteers, the only
hardware that works is the stuff they personally have.   They can't afford
and don't have the time or money to go out and buy every piece of hardware
to test it and write the code.

Terry  KJ7F