RE: [linrad] Mistake: frontend LO frequency stability

Hi Peter,

> Leif, I presume obviously that  your correction underneath does not only
> concern your WSE 144 c.s., but any 144 MHz converting frontend ?
> Be it DC ( to be home built ) or not ( as your WSE chain ) ?
I really do not know. At a bin width of 0.5Hz and with a dot length of
a minute or so one will get an impressive sensitivity. Pushing it a little
further will not give much since it is so much easier to get a 3dB more
power than to lock the rig to a frequency standard..........

Many EME-ers are stable enough already today to run QRSS at a bin
bandwidth of 1Hz. Most stations drift too much, some even too much
for JT44 but modern rigs can be good enough as they are.

Knowing the frequency within a few kHz is enough to locate an
extremely weak signal. With 5Hz/pixel and 50% interleave a 1024
screen can display 2.5kHz with full sensitivity. This should be
at least 3dB more sensitive than JT44. Most rigs have the stability
needed.

With 0.5Hz/pixel one would see only 250 Hz. One would gain 5dB.
Here a TCXO will be perfectly adequate, the GPS is overkill.
I think some stations already have the stability needed when
the rig is well warmed up. The WSE converters are at this level
if they are allowed proper warming up.

For a bin width of 0.1Hz a standard TCXO is adequate. I do not know
where the limit is, at what bin width GPS becomes an advantage,
probably it is a disadvantage because the GPS will introduce phase
noise. I think the GPS will ensure a correct center frequency but it
will give a wider signal. I am not sure of this - if there is anyone
who really knows I think it would be interesting to have a posting
here:)

I have two 10MHz references. They differ by 9.8Hz at 144 MHz, I
watched them for a few days and I can not see any change:)
(I use them as references for my HP signal generators)
Would be fun to lock Linrad to one of the references and monitor
the stability of the other one. I guess the result to expect is
well known - but not to me.