[linrad] Almost there...

RH 8.0 and standard packaged sound driver results:

  Works under KDE.  Doesn't work under Gnome.  Gnome complains
  that I need to have permission to open "mixer" and/or that I
  should ensure that I have sound support compiled into the
  kernel.  I thought that their automated install process
  should have done that already.

  Did a simple "switchdesk" to KDE - now the stock sound driver
  works fine.  Makes perfect sense to me.  I've decided to try
  Linrad with standard sound drivers for the moment, then re-try

Compiling Linrad:
  After fixing the multi-line string literal problem in main.c,
  I now get a make error at line 818 as follows:

[root@linrad001 lir]# make
gcc -O -W -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wformat \
-Wunused -Wcomment -Wchar-subscripts -Wshadow -Wuninitialized \
-Wparentheses -Wstrict-prototypes -Werror -ffast-math -fforce-mem \
-fomit-frame-pointer -c -o main.o \
main.c
main.c:818:22: multi-character character constant
make: *** [main.o] Error 1

What I see at line 818 in emacs is:

  rx_mode=(vga_inkey-'A')^0x80;

...except that the single-quoted capital 'A' is really a single-
quoted capital 'A' with an accent mark above it.  How should this
line really look?  BTW - Linrad v.47 main.c comes up the same way.

TNX & 73,
Dan  KB5MY