[linrad] Installing Linrad

My thanks to the 4 people who responded to my last cry for help.
Your advice was much appreciated.

I have installed svga and it seems ok, though the permissions do not
always seem to work consistently! A detail only, for later.

I should also correct one previous statement - RAM is 128MB, not 64MB.
Sound and video cards are at present integated on the motherboard, but slots
exist for upgrading these when necessary.
Monitor is a Del Trinitron D825HT (made Sep 1997) - may be relevant below??

Now for installing Linrad:

1. Running ./configure

Some problems here I think, selected output:

checking for /usr/lib/oss/soundcard.h ... no
checking for /usr/local/lib/oss/soundcard.h ... no
checking for /lib/oss/soundcard.h ... no
checking for /var/lib/oss/soundcard.h ... no
checking for /opt/oss/soundcard.h ... no
checking for /root/oss/soundcard.h ... no
checking for /dev/dsp ... yes
checking for /dev/sound/dsp ... no
checking for ./users_hwaredriver.c ... no
checking for ./users_hwaredriver.c ... (cached) no

checking for /usr/include/png.h ... no

There are in fact 3 files soundcard .h on the machine:
/usr/include/sys/soundcard.h
/usr/include/linux/soundcard.h
/usr/src/linux-2.4.18-14/include/linux/soundcard.h
none of which are linked to each other!
I could link one of these into one of the 6 directories actually searched by config.
Advice appreciated.

2. Soundcard.
Perhaps this is the moment to ask for advice on the most suitable soundcard
to add to this machine for running Linrad.
Why do some users appear to have 2 soundcards?

3. CRASH

In spite of the failure to find a soundcard, Linrad compiles, though of course with a raft
of messages about the search for soundcard.h.

The opening screen contains some warnings:

/proc/cpuinfo says LINUX core is not compatible
If your core is 2.4.8 or above everything is probably ok   (my core is 2.4.18)
Seems just the xmm flag in /proc/cpuinfo is missing.

The Setup routine runs ok, and saves the settings to par_userint.
A screen 1024x768 (or 640x480) seems to work, with font scale 1 (minimum).

At main menu, select M for moon, and enter my Lat and Long - ok
Save this with 9 ...

Pregnant pause, then "OUT OF SCAN RANGE",
white on blue panel.
There seems no way back from this screen except to power down!
I have tried variations of font and screen size, without any improvement.

My Lat is -33.721, and Long is 150.448, Grid locator is correctly calculated from these.
Maybe not many Linrad operators down this way, but surely that isn't the problem.
So, again HELP!

I'm afraid you are all going to get tired of my cries for help!
But we are making some progress, I think.

73  Guy  VK2KU