[linrad] eme eme.dta, allcalls.dta, dir.skd

This is a note that I could send to Leif, but it is of direct interest to all and I think that Joe K1JT will have comment also as it refers to WSJT, and so I send it to the list. It is precipitated by the frustration of once again trying to find uptodate versions of all of the files listed in the subject header on the internet.

The files listed in the subject header [eme eme.dta, allcalls.dta, dir.skd] are not so easy to find on the internet, and I am not sure how actively they are being maintained. Does anyone know details on the latter? The versions of dir.skd I find on the web are a couple of years old at least in the best case I could find, and 8 years old on one site!

Since Linrad is being updated anyway, would this be a good time to change it to use the same station database file that WSJT uses, as that IS being actively maintained and, with all of the interest and use of WSJT, is easily available?

I note that MOONSKED has changed from using the same 'old' files used by Linrad to using the same file as WSJT uses, CALL3.TXT.

The file that WSJT uses, CALL3.TXT, has less station information than the original files, but to me its easy availability and the fact that it is uptodate far outweigh that disadvantage, and I think would make it preferable to the old files.

There may be other disadvantages of using CALL3.TXT that I have missed.

You can read about CALL3.TXT if you go to:
http://www.bigskyspaces.com/w7gj/tracker.htm

and page down far enough.

Any Comments?

73,