[linrad] Re: Knoppix 4.01... more LDE

Yes, things can be added to "alsa-base" file  , either to "sound", or
you can put them to "w3sz" or "foo" file. The name does not play any
role in the result. Every file on the /modprobe.d/ directory is parsed.

> Putting the added lines in 'alsa-base' as detailed below in the
> previous  email, causes alsa to retain the Delta44 as card 0, so that
> with the  addition by alsaconf of the i810 as card 1 things work.

Change index=0 to index=1 and it should work manually. You do not need
the alsaconf program, Debian says: "Unfortunately, alsaconf can only
detect one sound card and is generally a poorly written program". ;-)

Alsaconf try to do the configuration automagically for you, but if you
know how to do it manually (and indeed you do know now), it is better
and you have everything under control.

> For those who are wondering...alsamixer still doesn't retain settings
> after reboot.  It does hang on to them until boot time.

You can execute the "amixer" command to set up all sound setting at boot
time. I have not done it but it looks feasible.