[linrad] Re: Knoppix 4.01

Hello Roger.

I understand, so it seems that it does not work. Have you tried to
disable the onboard sound card? I mean, disabling it on the motherboard.
Just a guess.

Use this command line (from the sox package):

$ play  file.wav

Do you receive any error messages?

Have you checked the logs /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages just to
see if there are some errors that give us a clue?

Did you try the "alsamixer" command line ALSA mixer just to see if it
works? (I do not know if knoppix comes with it)

Try to stop some kind of KDE sound server stuff running on the background.
$ ps ax
will help to find it.

Just to be sure, it would be an interesting experiment booting knnopix
in text mode only, without the KDE environment.

Also check for "dmesg" output to see if there is some irq conflicts.

Keep us posted.

Ramiro
EA1ABZ.