[linrad] Re: Winrad

----- Original Message ----- From: <leif@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 4:53 PM
Subject: [linrad] Re: Winrad

Hi Bob, Mike and all,

Leif has given Frank and I his candidate multithreading code and we are
beginning to look at it. It will require a fair amount of effort to
adapt it.

The code I have sent is only a partial conversion from a single-
threaded structure to a multi-threaded one. Everything that is
os dependent is contained in the small files main.c and setad.c.
All other files would be usable as is under e.g. MSDOS and I assume
they could be directly used under Winows also.

The routines needed in main.c are a few things like init a graphical
screen, set a suitable palette, put a pixel or character on the screen.

What I have in mind is a first level port to Windows in which nothing
of the window managing functions, data structures and higher level
programming available under Windows would be used. Just a single window
that uses the entire screen and some simple functions to put pixels,
lines and characters on the screen.

There is a very large number of loose ends in the package
to become Linrad-02.00 and I am working on some of them while
I have left others in a messy intermediate state because I do not
know which way to go since I have no idea what a port to Windows
might require.

It seems to me that a port of Linrad to Windows that keeps the
original user interface of Linrad as it is should be a good first step.
Once that works in a stable fashion it would be possible to rearrange
the code to allow a different user interface in case it is believed to
bring any advantages.

The current version which probably works well for normal receiving
with soundcards but which can not process recorded data at all
can be downloaded from http://www.sm5bsz.com/linuxdsp/archive/lirt.tbz
This Linrad version can use a SDR-14 for input to give coverage
from DC to 200MHz (with suitable preamplifiers) There is no user
interface yet so the center frequency and other parameters have to
be set in the C-code (in sdr14.c)

Those of you who know something about Windows (or Mackintosch)
programming might look at the file main.c and put comments that
you might have on this list.

What I would love to see as a first step is a lir02-00.tbz file
that would unpack to a linrad-02.00 directory with a configure
script that sets everything for compiling on the current machine
to generate one version for use with svgalib, another for
use with X11 and a third one for use under MS Windows.

Currently there are the following make commands:
make linrad (to produce an executable for svgalib)
make svgalib (to insert a script that installs svgalib_helper at boot time)
make sdr14 (to compile a device driver for the ft245 and to insert a
           script that installs it at boot time. The ft245 chip is
           used in the SDR-14 hardware)

With the build files in the linrad-02.00 directory, one sub-directory
for os-independent routines and additional sub-directories for the
different operating systems it would be easy to have the work split
among different people on a longer time scale in which the Windows
version might drift away from the current structure of Linrad.