[linrad] Re: SATA Drive issues with Debian, Knoppix security

Well, I couldn't switch back to SATA drives after making the change.  So I removed the Debian install and reinstalled using an old 2.4.29-bf2.4 install that had the SATA drivers needed by Dell systems on it.  Then I completed the install using a set of Woody CD's that I had.

The result is an install that does see the SATA drives, but sound is broken and gnome will work only in failsafe mode.  Alsaconf won't install for dependency resons I haven't been able to fix yet.

I added a 2.6.11 kernel, and on that eth0 is broken as they took the tg3 driver out of the kernel and I haven't been able to load the new Broadcom driver.  Sound is also broken with this kernel, and gnome also works only in failsafe mode.

I tried making a new kernel but the install crashed due to syntax errors not of my doing.

I hope the new Sarge release solves these problems.

73,

Roger
W3SZ