[linrad] Re: Linux Strikes Again

Sirs Leif, Mike, Dan & Roger,

Thanks for all the comments! Leif's comments set good break-points
for the various "milestones". What I mean with optimizing integral
energy, is the concept, that  if a "software issue" is well done,
then one good effort will save the energy of fifty to five hundred
other users initially with 'Linrad' (maybe that of millions in other
more widespread applications). Certainly a lot of other useful skills
will be learned during all the initially useless battles (that are not
immediately leading to the desired result).

Mike, with reference to the above, I do not expect you to gain much
by installing Fedora, as you need to install also SVGALIB and LINRAD
(and possibly OSS) after that. If Roger's Live-CD booted from CDROM
is working close to your needs, then it will be much simpler to edit
the few files after HD-install, than to start over with Fedora.

QUOTING W3SZ/Roger:  [Wed, 11 May 2005 07:12:15 -0400]

Because the directory structure changes when the HD installation occurs,
my script as written will not work with the HD installation.

As you know, but stated here for the new user, none of this is a problem
for anyone using the Knoppix Live CD to boot up.  It is only an issue if
you have gone to the 'next level' and have decided to repartition your
hard drive and to permanently place a Linux installation on it.  So if you
are using the Knoppix Live CD to boot up, you can ignore all of this.

But if you do install the operating system on the hard drive, the fix to
the bootup script is easy.  I give it here from memory as I am not in
Knoppix as I type this, so check what I say carefully.

To perform the fix, I suggest that you boot up in hard drive installation
and go to /etc/rcS.d and edit S80w3szlinradmodified.  You might want to
save the old version of this file in another directory so that you have it
available in case you want to make a Live CD from your installation at
some future time.  Just change the line
cd /UNIONFS/knuser/linrad-01.33 to
cd /knuser/linrad-01.33

and change the lines [several places]
cd /UNIONFS/etc/vga/libvga.config to
cd /etc/vga/libvga.config

and all should be well.

END W3SZ-quote ---

Several directories may have changed with newer releases, as for
example  /knuser/linrad-01.33  may well be  /knuser/linrad. So it
needs some logical deductions from the side of the user to adapt
to the ever changing situation. And that is the unavoidable part
of constant studying when dealing with Linux. And that challenge
is keeping us hooked, while we do not want to throw away former
investments: benefits of 'Linrad' luring just around the corner.

                                    73, "Zaba"   OH1ZAA/2