[linrad] New Knoppix CD uploaded

There is a new version of the Linrad Knoppix CD uploaded to Leif's site. As before, the reference to the CD is from Rein's page:

http://www.nitehawk.com/linrad_dat/

As Zaba suggested, the distros will be numbered yyyy-mm-dd, so this is linradknoppix-2005-05-15.

The changelog for the various versions is at
http://www.sm5bsz.com/w3sz/linradknoppixchange.txt

The changes since the last edition are:

More widespread clean-up of unnecessary files to reduce size
Greater attempt to remove configuration files peculiar to w3sz hardware
Linrad version updated to Linrad-01.34
Linrad directory changed from /knuser/linrad-01.33 to /knuser/linrad
Linrad par* files removed from /knuser/linrad directory

I have made several CD's of the new iso after uploading it to Leif's site and then downloading it, and it seems to work fine here. I have uncovered no new 'issues'.

If you go to the Rein's link or directly to my link page, you will download the new version. I will delete the old version, which currently doesn't have a direct link, tomorrow after giving any downloads that might be in progress a chance to complete.

I came across a superb, easy-to-read book on Knoppix today while at Borders to get some College Guides for my daughter. It is "Knoppix Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips and Tools", by Kyle Rankin. It goes from the very basic to some very advanced tips. If you want to play around with Knoppix a bit and if like me you are not a computer expert, you will find this very helpful and fun. If you basically don't want to play with Linux at all, you won't want the book. If you are a real expert, you won't want it either. But if like me you are somewhere in the middle, you will find this a very helpful, enjoyable, interesting book. I got it this afternoon and have already finished its 300+ pages. O-Reilly press.

I also found a nice book on "Linux Shell Scripting with Bash: A comprehensive guide and reference for Linux users and administrators" by Ken O. Burtch. It looks very good too, but I have just skimmed a dozen or so pages so far. It looked like it would be very helpful for script writing, moreso than other books I'd picked up in the past. And I still find a paper book easier to read than a bunch of computer screens ;) Developer's Library.

73,

Roger
W3SZ

--