[linrad] Re: Knoppix CD

At 12:26 PM 5/14/2005 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi Mike,
>
>This is exactly the problem I suffer from under MS-Windows
>where the directory structure is really unclean.

Leif, this is amazing.  I have exactly the same view of the Linux directory
structure, which I consider to be illogical and disorganized.   I love the
Windows directory structure which I consider quite well organized.  To find
a file, I click on Start, Search,  For files or folders, and when the
window comes up I click on  All files and folders, and enter the name of
the file in the subsequent window.  I arrow down a bit and tell it which
drive to look in and click search, and away it goes.  Isn't perspective
amazing?  Maybe someday if I ever get rich, I would like to have the
opportunity to sit down together (in Sweden since I have never been there)
and exchange helpful information on the two operating systems.

Ok, onward & upward.  I decided to do the "U" entry in the set-up menu, and
went through all of that, and just accepted the default values except for
the sample rate which I set at 5000( I think it was on 48000).  This, for
whatever reason, caused the stronger signals to appear in the waterfall.  I
tried to look at the W5HN 2 meter beacon up near Dallas.  I could hear it
very faintly, but well enough to copy, but could not find it in the
waterfall.

>But you can see it on the main spectrum?

Having spent so much effort just getting the software and the sound
running, I must confess that I don't know the main spectrum from any other
spectrum.  Clearly something I need to try to understand, but being
impatient I want to start Linrad, click on "kill the noise", and go about
my business.

Ok, to review, at this time it appears that I can see strong signals, but
not weak ones, and need to work on understanding what I see on the screen.

73,
Mike