[linrad] Re: Knoppix CD

I am away at a business meeting and have little internet time/access, so I can't offer much help.

There are several things that may be of general help in terms of soundcard issues.

Typing 'alsaconf' should start the also soundcard configuration program for you.  If it doesn't, you have problems beyond what I know how to solve.  If this happens to you try www.alsa-project.org or google.

/knuser, or $UNIONFS/knuser, contains the directories for linrad, svgalib, and OSS.  There is plenty on the web that tells you how to install OSS, and there are readme files in the oss directory that tell you as well.

If you have soundmodules that need to be uninstalled in order to install OSS, and don't know how to do this and can't find it on the web, try googling rmmod and and you will come up with lots of information.  In addition, Ramiro sent a very good email out a couple of weeks ago about this general subject.  ls -l /proc/modules will list potential modules as I recall.  But when you get to this point if you need help.  Each system is different and spoon feeding is not possible at this point with these problems [at least not by me ;) ].

As Leif indicated, if you are having problems getting LInrad started, you should remove the linrad configuration file so that you get free range of configuration choices when you start Linrad.  rm par_userint should work [executed from the LInrad directory, of course], if my memory is correct [ no Knoppix here at the moment ;) ].  You can do a dir par* to see what configuration files are present in the linrad directory.

If Linrad is coming up with no readable text when it starts [if you have this problem the same thing will happen when you run vgatest], edit the /etc/vga/libvga.config file sothat you uncomment the 'vesatext' line near the bottom of the screen.

Good luck all, have to go or I won't get a seat at the meeting,

73,

ROger
W3SZ